12 September 2009

Five decades...

... from the Rosary



We spent a few minutes at the beach, and a child we don't know took John by the hand to show him the tidepools. The same kid grabbed my arm for balance on the rocks. His willingness to reach out to us was striking. I wonder whose hand I would hold if I had the same faith in strangers.



My friends Liz and Dan have a hummingbird feeder outside their bedroom window.They watch the tiny birds come and go and drink their fill of sweet nectar. One of the birds, Dan has noticed, is particularly protective of this resource. This bird swoops down and scares off the other birds from enjoying a drink. Dan tries to reason with the poor creature. "It's not yours. I give it to you freely. There's more than enough. And when it's empty, I'll refill it." The bird is unconvinced, and I wonder how often we ignore the same reassurance from God.



I possess approximately four million tiny pieces of paper scribbled with thoughts and half thoughts.Sifting through receipts and whatnot, tonight I found this:“Maybe what feels like a test is meant to be a stretch.”In which case, I should take a deep breath and lean in.



“ ‘If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.” ~ Matthew 19:21-22 I would like to be a minimalist, but I’m not. I have many possessions, some of which I carry with me almost all the time in my purse. It makes me think how silly we must look to God, like children playing make believe, setting up house and shop, finding treasure in trinkets.



Come as you are. Be as you are. Go as you are.

No comments: