20 April 2008

Shhh - relax. It is okay....

I was neurotic for years. I was anxious and depressed and selfish. And everyone kept telling me to change. And everyone kept telling me how neurotic I was. And I resented them, and I agreed with them, and I wanted to change, but I just couldn't bring myself to change, no matter how hard I tried. What hurt the most was that my best friend also kept telling me how neurotic I was. He too kept insisting that I change. And I agreed with him too, thought I couldn't bring myself to resent him. And I felt so powerless and trapped.

Then, one day, he said to me, 'Don't change. Stay as you are. It really doesn't matter whether you change or not. I love you just the way you are; I cannot help loving you.'

Those words sounded like music to my ears: 'Don't change, don't change, don't change... I love you.' And I relaxed. And I came alive. And oh, wondrous marvel, I changed!'

-A. De Mello

No comments: