27 November 2007

Gideon

Spiritual writer Brennan Manning reminds us of that wonderful scene in the play, Gideon, written by Paddy Chayefsky. Gideon is out in the desert in his tent a thousand miles from nowhere, feeling deserted and rejected by God, a feeling that is no stranger to many of us from time to time, and others most of the time, maybe even all the time.

One night, God breaks into the tent and Gideon is ravished and overcome, burnt by the wild fire of God’s love. He is up all night, pacing back and forth in his tent. Finally dawn comes, and Gideon cries out:

“God, oh God, all night long I’ve thought of nuttin’ but You, nuttin’ but You. I’m caught up in the raptures of love. God, I want to take You into my tent, wrap You up, and keep You all to myself. God, hey God, tell me that You love me.”

And God answers: “I love you, Gideon.”

“Yeah, tell me again, God.”

“I love you, Gideon.”

Gideon scratches his head and says: “I don’t understand. Why? Why do You love me?”

Then God scratches His head and answers: "I really don’t know. Sometimes, My Gideon, passion is unreasonable.”

No comments: